Saturday, February 5, 2011

Third trimester and I don't like hospitals...:)

I can't believe I am in the 3rd trimester...:) I have had a cold the last few weeks, been taking approved drugs but nothing got rid of it. Went into urgent care and was told I had allergies, 3 days later I called in sick to work (I never do that), was running a fever, my lungs hurt, my head hurt, short of breath, and my heart felt like it was beating fast. Went to the ER and they rushed me back to a room after seeing my heartrate and blood pressure, hooked me up to an EKG machine, I couldn't breathe deep enough for them to listen to my lungs so they did a lung xray. There were 8 or so nurses working on me and that was just insane. Then they did an u/s on my legs to look for clots, didn't find any, so they did a CAT scan to look in my lungs for clots (I think) and never really told me the results of that (guessing I was ok). I sat in the ER room for hours just waiting on lab results, in pain, and trying not to freak out. A nurse finally came in and used a fetal heart monitor to check and the baby had a heartbeat. Shortly after that a doc came in and explained that they couldn't release me when my heart beat was that high (it was over 150bpm) and he told me that I had pneumonia also. So I was admitted.

After getting to my room I finally got some pain meds and had IV antibiotics and many bags of saline as I hadn't eaten or drank much at all that day due to the sickness. I talked to the doc and she explained that my white blood cell count was pretty high (infection) and she explained I had community pneumonia.  After that the awesome nurse I was blessed with got me some snacks and I finally got to sleep around 2 in the morning. The next morning my OB showed up (I had just had an appt with him the day before) and he was wondering what happened...he also gave me some bad news, I failed my 1 hour gestational diabetes test that day (weird as I passed with DD), then he ordered a 1 hour fetal heart rate monitoring session every shift for the baby. I had to spend a second night in the hospital as they weren't ready to let me go as the pneumonia got worse, although my heart rate was starting to look better. So I stayed yet another night. I felt so much better the next day, not 100% (heck, I am not 100% now and probably won't be for quite awhile) but when they checked my lungs I could actually take a breath without coughing and didn't have much fluid in them anymore. So the PA asked if I felt well enough to go home...heck yes I did! LOL 3 hours of sleep a night at the hospital just doesn't cut it when you are sick.

So after 3 one hour monitoring sessions at the hospital, baby is looking great. I have a followup for the pneumonia with my OB on Tuesday and the 3 hour gestational diabetes test.  I have another 11 days on one of the antibiotics and 3 more days on another.  I am still on pain meds as my lung will start to hurt pretty bad, along with my throat and head when the drugs start to wear off. 

So last week pretty much sucked.  But I did realize that I love civilian hospitals!  Everyone is so nice, and I appreciated everything they did for me.  The Navy hospital where I delivered DD was not so good...:)


  1. I knew you were sick (FB) and whatnot. I'm just glad you are home and resting and that Charlie and you are okay! Freakin hospital trips, man! Please take it easy and let the meds do their job. No more sick! And I agree, sleep? In a hospital? Not unless you drug the shit out me! Feel better sweetie.

  2. My goodness you were VERY sick. I'm so glad you're feeling better and you're back home. Are they going to let you go backto work or are you out for the duration?

  3. YIKES!!!! Scary. I'm glad you're doing better. And hooray for the third trimester!

    You have an award on my blog!

  4. Stinnie - Well, they didn't say anything about not going back to work...just try not to be around crowds of people and/or sick people. Follow up tomorrow...I'll see what my OB says..:)

  5. I hope you're feeling much better by now. That would be quite a scare for anyone - pregnant or not! Glad to hear baby is still doing great it spite of it all!